Nothing says 'wow-factor' quite like this roast rib of beef for dinner.
- 3kg rib-eye roast (or other beef roast)
- 1 tbs olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 40g unsalted butter, chopped
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 baby gem lettuce, halved lengthways
- ¼ cup each flat-leaf parsley leaves and chives, chopped
- 4 cornichons, thinly sliced
- English mustard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and grease a baking tray. Season beef with salt flakes.
- Place oil and garlic in frypan over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Remove garlic and set aside. Add beef to frypan and cook 1-2 minutes each side until browned. Reduce to medium-low. Season with pepper. Add 20g butter and half the thyme, and return garlic to frypan. Cook 3-4 minutes, basting beef with butter mixture.
- Transfer beef to prepared tray and put butter mixture in a bowl and chill. Roast beef for 1 hour 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 55°C for medium-rare. Rest 20 minutes loosely covered with foil.
- Return frypan to high heat and add chilled butter mixture and remaining 20g butter and thyme. Cook until butter foams, then add lemon juice. Pour over beef.
- Preheat a chargrill to high. Season lettuce and thread onto skewers. Cook cut-side down for 2 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn and cook a further 1 minute or until grill marks appear. Drizzle with oil and scatter with herbs and cornichons.
- Thickly slice beef. Serve with lettuce and mustard.
Recipe and image courtesy of Delicious magazine.