A comfort food like no other! Chilli con carne is quick and easy and a super nutritious meal to serve the family. Serve in tortillas for a variation!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 125g rindless bacon, roughly chopped
- 750g lean beef mince
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium red capsicums, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chilli powder
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- toppings, to serve (see note)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 15 minutes or until browned.
Add onions, capsicums, garlic and chopped chilli. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add tomatoes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
Add beans. Increase heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through and sauce has thickened. Serve chilli with toppings.
Recipe and image courtesy of Taste.